Monday, July 02, 2012

Clients From Hell


http://clientsfromhell.net/

This web site is a collection of stories from free-lance artists and graphic designers all about their worst experiences with clients.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Client: Can you make this blue redder?
Me: Like, purple?
Client: No. A red blue. Or even a blue red. Are you colour blind?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Client: I would like for you to make a simpler version of the logo for my business. What do you think of the logo I sent you?
Me: It’s too busy. It looks like a mural. When creating a logo, you want something simple. Simplicity sells. I’ll create a better version for you.
Client: Okay, thanks. Make it simple!
After spending 2 weeks creating the new logo…
Client: I saw the logo. But I think I want to use the original one. I wanted you to keep everything in it, but make it simple.
Me: I don’t understand how that’s possible.
Client: Are you saying that because you don’t know how to draw?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Client: So the reason you stopped updating the website is because I didn’t pay you your three months of outstanding maintenance invoices?
Me: I could have also suspended your account, but I kept it running out of courtesy for your business.
Client: But there’s been no work done to the website since two months ago - why should I pay you when you haven’t done anything since I stopped paying you?
Me: Please, just take a second to think about that.
Client: I don’t know, it seems like you’re only motivated by money.

5 comments:

Surly Bird said...

I've heard a few of those before. :(

MrGoodson2 said...

Artists are so screwed. They are sophisticated rag pickers really. Just total hand to mouth unless they score a good industry job.

Rickart said...

Well, I wasted a lot of time on this website! Thanks for sharing, Tom!

Tom Moon said...

I'm still wasting time on it. When free-lance friends tell me their stories about not getting paid, I just can't believe it. My friend is a Hollywood script writer and is owed tens of thousands of dollars by a client who keeps promising that "the check is in the mail." I've been lucky in my career to never have had to face these situations.

Tom Carroll said...

Tom M.
You've been so lucky because you draw a cosmic character that could walk through walls to obtain the payment! Well, obtain it in an otherworldly manner, of course.